Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Nuclear Deal implications

The Government won the trust vote regarding the Nuclear Deal. Before leaving for a dress rehearsal of my PhD Proposal defense, I was following the trust vote like a mad man. Finally I managed to see some encouraging scenes on Star News (thanks to idesitv.com) and finally the news flashed: UPA 275, Against 256 plus a count for the abstainees. In this mood, I left for my Prelims defense, which was a washout cos my committee member decided to attend my scheduled defense tomorrow and then bigger the firing squad, the better.
I called up my sis, who stays in Kuwait and wished her a very Happy Birthday. We talk abt everything and I mentioned about the Nuclear deal finally going through the motions in the Parliament. I was surprised when she said that she did not like that the deal got passed because it was tabled by the Congress. I proceeded to explain the intricacies of the nuclear deal, etc. to her and then I started thinking about it and here's my take. One glance on today's newspapers had all the NRIs applauding the deal. the surprising part is no one in India is bothered about the deal, the youth is not bothered about it and that's where the government has failed. Instead of projecting the Nuclear Deal as an acheivement of the Congress party, theis could have been projected as an achievement for India. Congress could have run ads on DD, other satellite channels exhorting the virtues of the ND simply put more civilian reactors to take care of basic electricity requirements in the country. But then I am not a politician. I am just another guy who can only express his two words of wisdom on this inconsequential blog!! Cheers to the Nuclear Deal !!!

No comments: