Thursday, March 13, 2008

Modding my iphone



So finally I decided to go one more step and completely unlocked my iphone. First of all, AT&T does not have a clue about the iphone and secondly if you are smart, you can find lot of loopholes with the iphone contract liability. This gives rise to the following case:
1. You can insert your old AT&T SIM in you iphone and go on with your life. AT the same time benefit from having all the previous discounts and to top off a cool phone..!!!!
assumptions: You have unlocked your iphone completely and your SIM is locked to your old phone. This also implies that your SIM has the old instrument's IMEI locked. You may or may not choose to take the $20 Data plan. No 2 year contract as well. No visual voicemail in any case.
consequences: I don't know. My investigation on forums revealed that no one had a clue about what would happen. IMHO it is a high risk situation.
2. You can only unlock the filesystem and use the iphone with your official carrier. This way you have all the cool apps on your iphone.
assumptions: You have accepted a two year agreement with AT&T and at the same time lost any discounts on your account...duh!!! wat a bummer..!!!!
consequences: you are within AT&T liability and no one can harm a hair on your body.
And be careful before upgrading to Apple's new firmwares.

I guess I have used a very nice reasoning style for my choices. If I cud only translate this in my proposal as well...!!!
this is how my iphone screen looks like now...I have used the 'summerboard package' and installed the Leopard theme.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can get Visual Voicemail jsut from a 3rd party like SimulScribe (full disclosure it is my company). We work off the carrier deck and deliver the transcribed voicemail to you as email. We see a continued trend of customers unlocking the iPhone and using our service to handle the Visual Voicemail.

Jamie

James Siminoff, Founder
SimulScribe