Tuesday, March 11, 2008

iphone club--Yippppeeeeyayyyyyyyyyy

so after a very very busy Feb, I am back to blogging again...It's Spring break and I decided to visit MG@NJ. my I scheduled an appointment at the Apple store (Bridgewater location) to repair Macbook (MB). Apparently, there's an inherent flaw with the MB design, if you close the lid with some force you can crack the case near the touch pad due to the protrusions on the inner side of the lid(near the screen). Remember that there's a magnet on the lid, so next time apply less force while closing your MB. Neways, my trip to the Apple store resulted in another hole in my pocket. I think Apple has to stop making expensive stuff...duh. I ended up buying a 8GB iphone. Got it home activated it. Initial observations: Awesome UI..Apple rocks...!!! the software is completely blended into the hardware and that's so good. I think this is something BREW-enabled phones have not achieved. I am for Linux-enabled phones as well for eg. Nokia N810 --has Skype running on Wi-Fi.
My car had a breakdown on I-81 while traveling to DC and the iphone was of great help. I was able to pinpoint my location using Maps and give that info to the towing agency. I was also able to locate car repair places and was able to ask the towing guy to tow my car to a better place.

I also kinda jumped the loop and did a 'Jailbreak' on my iphone. I followed the instructions @iphoneatlas Also some more tweaks: do install the repo from Navizon to enable it. The IM clients are not very robust. Remove the Conceited apps software from your 'sources' and then reinstall the 'Community sources' again. This enables the installation of the 'Terminal'.
Also install the 'SUID Lib Fix' and 'BSD Subsystem 2.0 Termfix' from the 'tweaks' section. This enables you to login as root with pswd alpine and gives you backspace functionality respectively.
In a nutshell the price you pay is for the 'World' in your pocket--a very seamless integration of phone & internet.

No comments: