Monday, March 17, 2008

Filing Taxes

So yeah, I have finally filed my taxes. Doing taxes on your own is a pain and then truly "no gains without pains" --bad PJ. I have migrated from doing my taxes using pen and paper to online software programs. The not too obvious reason is 1040 NREZ cannot be e-filed and hence you have to do taxes using pen and paper or Adobe writer.
Some free online federal e-file options can be found at turbotax, taxact and H&R
I personally prefer taxact due to its simplicity and ease of use. Warning: I am not employed by any of these firms for tax filing purposes and these are completely my opinions. This year I did have a doubt wrt my filing status and had to check the proper documentation. Apparently, some states require same filing status as Federal, while some allow you to use a different status as deemed fit. This is very confusing to an ordinary user and I can understand why it's an easier alternative to just go meet a tax consultant. Just for the count, I think it's a lucrative business to just learn the tax laws and help people file their taxes. Though this business will peak only in Jan-April, I guess it's worth the effort to learn the laws and pass the license exam to earn few bucks..LOL Anyone out there interested in setting up a tax consultancy as a part-time Spring business??

No comments: