Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mile sur mera tumhara..!!!

Why this title? It's a sarcastic take on the song that preaches national integration. I hitched a ride on Friday with a colleague/friend to another friend's place. My colleague was on his way to meet his girl friend, still studying in school. He mentioned that though both of them speak Hindi, they were not sure about their future in terms of what their parents would say. I bolstered his confidence by making the point that in any case, they spoke the same language, moreover Punjabi is an offshoot of Hindi. (No offense Punjus). It's disappointing to see parents not accept inter-caste marriages because of the Indian society. Who defines society? It's 'WE' as a collective individual defining the norms of 'SOCIETY'. I have been at the receiving end of this. Lot of my friends have gone through inter-caste/regional marriages and are living happily. Parents teach their children to live a good life, but I don't know why they cannot see that if they agree with their children on such a small issue, they are at least seeing their children happy. I know that it's every parent's dream to choose a prospective bride or groom for their children. But there's no fixed path for everyone. You may end up liking someone and would like to marry that certain individual. The only obstacle then is the mutual acceptance of the prospective bride or groom by the parents. Some cases are easy, because the parents are not so orthodox. I don't know what to say when I hear parents saying that they want you to come to India, see a girl, get married and go back. Is this horse-trading?? or cattle-trading??
I have heard this "what will your children be ?? what culture will they follow??" My answer: They will be good human beings and they will have the best of both worlds. Why marry someone to keep the society happy?? It's this hypocrite society that is responsible for this mess. The media goes crazy when AB marries Ash..and it's this same media/society that ridicules an inter-caste marriage. So what does the common man lack?? I wish parents were open-minded about the marriage stuff, after all we have been seeing 'Mile Sur' for the past so many years. Haven't we become mature enough to learn something about national integration from it?

1 comment:

Cris said...

Agree entirely