Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Wow...Excellent stuff for iphone






I am working on the evaluation perspective of my proposal due in a long time. This has driven me to do some more MPI parallel programming to produce my benchmark values that can be compared with my final values later (after about 6 months). So I take a 10 min break between 1-2 hours and read up on the Mac sites such as TUAW, hints, rumors, etc. I know, I know..what a fanatic...heard that before too...
Today's news caught my eye, VOIP over iphone brought to you by Fring. What is Fring? So Fring is an app that can be installed on jailbroken iphones and this allows you to voice chat on Skype, Gtalk, AIM, wow. Surprisingly this is a pre-release version and is kind of slow. Erica from TUAW had these problems as per her LiveBlog. I waited till the end of the day to test this app. My guinea pig..oops test case was Neeraj (he regularly uses a bluetooth headset to chat with folks on Gtalk, and therefore he qualifies as the perfect test case. No harm Neeraj [:P]). I did talk to him on Gtalk and Skype. I have to mention that the voice quality was perfect. Only the thing that needs to be rectified is : if you click on Communities and click on any of the services with a tick, you get unsubscribed and then you have to enter your id and password all over again.
Overall an excellent application...Cheers to Fring and iPhone.

No comments: