Friday, April 11, 2008

Converted one more from Windoze to Mac

So yeah...as the title suggests, I converted one more person in the family from the dark side a.k.a Windows to the good side a.k.a Mac OSX. Apparently it all started with my SIL's emails asking me for an opinion about the HP laptop selections made by her brother.

Now that's one of the perks for being the "in house-techie" (that's better than being called a nerdie). Pros: you get to wag your tongue on all the pros and cons and then conveniently force your selection on the unsuspecting audience. Cons: If the gadget goes bad, you get flak for suggesting the product, everyone loses trust in your reviews and also stand a chance of losing your coveted position as the "Mr./Ms. Tech-Reviewer". OK that's a nightmare and I don't want to go that path.

So I looked at the not so attractive bulky HP laptops and then told my SIL's bro abt my perspective on the sleek and efficient MacBook. Apparently Mac users qualify among 10% of OSes used worldwide. Getting people over is a huge task but then the crossover is alluring due to programs such as Parallels, VMWare, etc.

All the MS Office programs are available on Macs excluding Visio and MS Project. Alternatives include OmniGraffle and OmniPlan (I use both and like their excellent User Interface). Quick note: I installed Office 2008 on my Macs and I was prompted for updates and security fixes the next minute. Typical Windows Application behavior.

Climax scene: SIL's bro has successfully migrated to the good side. My faltu ka prediction: He will become more efficient and his productivity will increase exponentially.

Moral of story: I am the official Mac/Apple preacher/Minister. LOL

No comments: