Sunday, January 20, 2008

Migrating to the Big Cat

Yup...I finally migrated to Leopard. I haven't been a Mac user for a long time and I did not know how the upgrade process would work out. I am more proficient with Linux distros and Windoze. Neways after reading about the numerous blogs abt backing up using SuperDuper! and iBackup, I was very confused. Manas suggested a very simple technique:
1. Back up all your data. (I used an external hard disk)
2. Back up the ~/User/Library and the ~/Library.
3. Copy all the Applications from the ~/Applications folder

Format your precious Mac and after the 30 minute installation just drag all your applications and their respective folders from your archived copy on the hard disk.

That's it and you are back to working from where you left off. In fact all the Firefox tabs opened up the way it was before I had quitted. Anyways, I did a separate installation of iWork and iLife. Caution: make sure have 20GB of free space on your external disk for your libraries and apps before attempting this.

At night, I had to help out a frnd with Windoze installation on his Dell laptop. The user interface is so bad that you don't know if a check mark indicates an installed driver or device status. Deteriorating status of Windoze installations continues as usual.

No comments: