Wednesday, October 10, 2007

New Mac software--WOW...!!!

I have noticed that trivial and very random discussions with my roomies lead to very definite destinations. Thanks to my roomie..the "Mac-man-as-ten-Garu" (I am not very sure if this is a very clever misnomer for him--MT for short), I ended up on the rite side of the world when I bought a Mac after a disastrous stint with my dual boot Windows and Fedora Compaq lappy.
I feel so complete using one machine for all my programming, writing reports, thesis, etc. and ya it's such a cool machine. So on one random dinner time, MT mentioned the usage of a better PDF viewer--Skim. Skim is such a lightweight PDF reader and is based on the fact that you can make your comments while reading papers, post stickies, etc. I think coming from the creators of Bibdesk, this is a very handy utility for all graduate students (Sorry for the bias towards graduate students). Neways I was also introduced to TextMate and what can I say about it?? This is truly the best app that can take care of all your text writing tasks such as programming in a host of languages, Latex (this is my fav), etc. Although it's not free you can always try it out for a month and then buy the product for about 30 bucks or so. And ya it's worth the investment. BTW I am not the DEVELOPER of these products and I am NOT in anyway connected to them. After using them both, I am like a kid playing with newly found toys(oops software on my Macbook)
So what are you Mac users waiting for?? Go ahead and try them out..!!!!

No comments: