Monday, November 12, 2007

SC07 Reno--Here I am

I am in Reno attending the SC07 conference. I took a flight from IAD to LAX and then a connecting flight from LAX to Reno. I attended my session on Sunday feeling all bogged down and jetlagged. The workshop on High Performance ReConfigurable Technology was very interesting and I learnt a lot about compilers, high performance applications using FPGAs. In the end, there was an interesting panel that met to discuss the future trends and this was the most interesting part of the workshop. In short, the future trend is towards identifying or hiring a "computer-architecture aware" software engineer to develop common applications on FPGAs. Using FPGAs for mainstream applications can also reduce the cost of FPGAs as compared to CPUs.
In the evening, all of us attended the Bowling party held at the National Bowling Stadium. I have still not adapted myself to the time zone change. I wish I had an FPGA embedded in my brain that could adapt to the time zones, etc. resulting in better productivity.
BTW my convention center is in a very scenic place surrounded by snow-capped mountains. very nice frame for a pic. I shall post one on my blog as soon as time permits.

No comments: