Saturday, January 17, 2009

Era of social networking

It has become a habit to glance through my emails the first thing in the morning. However, an in-depth reading of the emails and the daily news on my laptop flopped today because of the flaky internet connection. I restarted my desktop, power cycled the modem and the router a couple of times. Nothing worked. Finally I checked the important stuff using my iPhone. Thanks to Apple's wonderful device.
After all the email checking and reading the news updates, I decided to call Comcast and report the outage. The Comcast rep took my info and gave me a service ID saying that the next available technician would come between 8-11 am on Monday. In any case, I decided to twitter about my internet service down due to Comcast. I also mentioned if anyone knew about Comcast sending a technician on Saturday. Surprisingly, within minutes, I had a direct message from ComcastBill asking me to send my info. I sent my info and ComcastBill tweeted that the Comcast service was down at my zipcode and would be up in some time.
Thanks to twitter, the world is a smaller place. Everything is connected. I wonder if Twitter will replace the SMS feature on internet enabled phones?? I think it's time for me to upgrade to Tweetie on my iPhone.

No comments: